POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : skyvase : Re: skyvase => (better povbench) Server Time
7 Aug 2024 07:19:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: skyvase => (better povbench)
From: pan
Date: 9 Dec 2001 16:38:34
Message: <3c13d9da@news.povray.org>
"Tom Melly" <tom### [at] tomandlucouk> wrote in message
> 3.1g watcom.win32 = 9 seconds
> 3.5 beta.8.icl.win32 = 6 seconds
>
> on p3 733 win2000 at work.... I got the impression that people thought 3.5 was
> slower? Or did I miss something?

Since hardware improved greatly since skyvase
started being used as a povbench it has become
clear that there is a need for a new file.

http://www.tabsnet.com/

uses chess2.pov and offers a higher degree of granularity
for results comparisons as the longer times spreads out
the minute differences that skyvase obscured.

tabsnet will do until (or if) there is a better povbench

currently there is a good set of results to compare your
machine against - single cpu - overclocked - multiple cpu

the times are long enough that useful distinctions can be
drawn from the differences; i.e. the numbers I got from a
abit kg7-raid mb/amd 1.4 cpu/1gB ram encouraged me to
put together a kr7a-raid mb/amd 1900/1gB ram machine
because it seems clear ths is the way to best performance
from a single cpu box